In a historic press conference on April 7, 1954 President Eisenhower alluded to a “Falling Domino Principle” in which he explained the strategic importance of Vietnam in Southeast Asia. He related that if it fell into the hands of the communists, soon after the rest of the region would fall. This announcement laid the foundation for the United States involvement in Vietnam. Looking back some sixty plus years, The Richard I. Bong Veterans Historical Center asks the question:
“Was the United States effective in deterring the spread of Communism in Southeast Asia as a result of our presence in Vietnam?”
Remember to be original and creative in your essay writing. Center staff will read and evaluate all essays.
- The top essay will receive a Grand Prize of $250.
- A $50 cash prize will be awarded to the First and Second Runner-Up.
- Three honorable mentions will receive consolation prizes.
- Winning essays will be posted on the Center’s web site. The honorable mentions will be listed on the web site.
- Contest is open to all students in grades 9-12 in Wisconsin and Minnesota.
- Your essay must be original and 500 words or less. Only one essay per student may be submitted.
- Essays may be emailed to the Education Outreach Coordinator at the Bong Historical Center
Deadline is Friday, April 28th, 2017 at 5:00 pm.