The Richard I Bong Veterans Historical Center (BVHC) is a repository for original artifacts and documents relating to the U.S. veterans experience from WWII to present day.
Use of BVHC collections is open to all interested persons. Contact the curator for research inquiries or to schedule a visit. Please include in your e-mail, the nature of your research request, and any additional information you may have to help us gather the appropriate materials in preparation for your research visit.
The BVHC can accommodate research requests via telephone, mail, and e-mail. This is a fee-based service billed at the rate of $20 per hour for non-members ($10 for members), one hour minimum per request. Copies/scans/digital photos of materials are an additional $0.25 per page/image for non-members ($0.10 for members). Responses sent by mail will have applicable US Postal Service fees applied. Requests should be submitted with the initial $20 fee; BVHC staff will advise on additional estimated time/fees for in-depth research projects and/or copying.
Please allow a minimum of two weeks for requests to be completed. If we cannot fulfill your request, BVHC staff will attempt to direct to the appropriate repository or source.
- There is a $5.00/day charge.
- Appointments are required.
- Please allow at least 2 weeks lead time for weekday research appointments and 4 weeks for Saturday appointments. The collection is not available for research on Sundays. BVHC will try to accommodate requested appointment dates, however, staffing levels may impact our ability to honor requested dates. Scheduling of each request is made on a case-by-case basis.
- To ensure the security of the collections, all personal items such as bags, briefcases, purses, backpacks, computer cases, packages, portfolios, folders, or envelopes are not permitted in the research area.
- No smoking, eating (including candy or gum), or drinking is allowed in the research areas.
- The BVHC reserves the right to refuse or limit access to any piece in our collection at the discretion of staff.
- Research materials may not be borrowed or removed from BVHC.
- Materials will not leave the designated area (e.g., collections room or designated reading room).
- Researchers will not be allowed into the collection storage area unless accompanied by a designated BVHC staff member or volunteer.
- The BVHC reserves the right to refuse to photograph or photocopy fragile or rare materials.
- All materials must be retrieved and re-shelved by staff
- Only pencils may be used. Writing is not permitted on any piece of the collection. Researchers may use laptop computers in the reading room; however, the use of optical scanning equipment is not permitted. Reference photos may be taken by permission only. Photocopies are available at a nominal fee.
- The designated staff member or volunteer will give you an overview on handling objects in our collection. Use clean hands when handling materials. White cotton gloves or latex gloves will be provided, if necessary.
- Material should remain flat on the table and should not be held in the hands or in the lap.
- Please keep all materials and objects in the order in which you find them.
- Materials may be duplicated if reproduction does not injure the materials and does not violate donor agreements or copyright restrictions. Please see fee schedule below.
- All duplication of materials, whether by photocopying, photography, or other means, must be completed by BVHC staff only except in the case of reference photos allowed by prior permission (see above).
- Obtaining copies of BVHC material does not imply the right to publish them. The museum must receive a request in writing, which describes the nature and purpose of the proposed use, publication or exhibition, and the exact material desired for use.
Restrictions on Use
The use of material may be restricted by law or by the donor. The BVHC may also restrict access to materials that are not arranged, are being catalogued, or are in fragile condition. In some cases, copies may be substituted for the originals.
Item Standard Fee Member Fee
Letter/legal photocopy (B&W) $0.25 $0.10
11×17 photocopy (B&W) $0.50 $0.30
8×10 glossy photo $25.00 $15.00
Shipping Cost Cost
- These prices are for personal use only.
- Publication use may require additional fees (see our Permission to Publish form).
- For special projects or for educational use, consult the BVHC, as different fees may apply.